Who was Hans Holbein?

This week in year 4 we have been looking at the artist Hans Holbein.

Hans Holbein was born in Germany in 1947.

He was best known for his pictures of Henry viii, Sir Thomas Cromwell and Anne of Cleves.

Hans Holbein was asked by Sir Thomas Cromwell to paint a portrait of the future queen of England Anne of  Cleves . Anne was German and Henry did not want to travel. This picture would introduce Henry viii to his wife to be. Anne was not a pretty lady, so Thomas Cromwell asked Holbein to paint a picture that would impress Henry. When Henry saw the picture he fell in love with her straight away.

When Henry met Anne he was not pleased, the woman he met was not the woman he had fallen  in love with, but he did not want to offend Germany. He Married Anne but not long after they were divorced.

Here is a picture in the style of Hans Holbein by Anna

6 Responses to “Who was Hans Holbein?”

1. Palvasha 4MBJanuary 20, 2012 at 9:53 pm #

Good work, Mr Devine. May I say… You have some pretty useful information about Hans Holbein. Also, if you DID write these facts up from you OWN head, then I may call you a little teacher smarty-pants !! Plus, Anna, amazing, artistic art skills you had done there !! It looks like you have done some smudging there and it really stands out too !! Can you teach ME how to draw and colour like that, huh ??
    By Palvasha 4MB

2. Olivia KnightJanuary 21, 2012 at 9:59 am #

Anna that drawing is amasing that tallent is so good.

3. Palvasha 4MBJanuary 23, 2012 at 9:58 pm #

Good point, I’m going to go with Olivia because, I think that you have spent lots of time on this piece on this artistic picture. It looks like you have been copying, of the Internet it you haven’t because I know, very well, that you can draw but, what I’ve just seen now, AMAZING !!
    Now, now, now, you haven’t answered my question, tut, tut, tut, tut, tuuuuuut.
    Please reply on this and ANSWER IT !!
    By Palvasha 4MB

4. year4January 25, 2012 at 9:07 am #

nice picture! bilal

5. khairyaJanuary 25, 2012 at 9:13 am #

Well Done Anna for working on this fab piece of writing! Well Done keep it up ! 🙂 😉

6. DaisyMay 12, 2012 at 11:58 am #

This is a really good piece of writing and I really do love the picture by Anna. From Daisy